【加拿大】Ontario schools to remain shut until at least May, will extend closure even further if need be



Ontario’s public schools will remain closed for all of April in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and Premier Doug Ford is warning that he is prepared to extend the closures “even further” if need be.


Schools were originally closed for three weeks and expected to return on April 6 but Ford told reporters last week that would not be possible and promised further details would be forthcoming.


Those details came on Tuesday afternoon when the premier announced the closures of schools until at least May 4 and the return of teacher-directed instruction, albeit electronically for now. Ford also announced the extension of a order requiring the closure of private schools and childcare centres for another 14 days.


“The situation continues to change day by day, hour by hour and in order to continue to protect our children I am prepared to extend these closures even further if we have to,” Ford said. “We are working closely with the school boards to find ways to help students complete the school year so that they can earn credits and graduate.”


Students will receive up to 10 hours of work per week

Under the plan announced by the province on Tuesday, students in Kindergarten through Grade 6 will receive five hours of work per week while students in Grades 7 and 8 will receive 10 hours of work per week and secondary school students will get three hours of work per week for each course they are enrolled in.


The province says that it will leverage technology to support teacher-led learning where possible but will take an open-minded approach towards supporting some students, who might not have access to the internet.


Laptops and other devices could also be provided to some students “as needed,” according to Education Minister Stephen Lecce.


“We are going to make sure that we optimize every human resource that exists within our department. If it means asking a bus to literally drive materials to a students’ home that does not have access to broadband or just cannot get it in a remote part of the province we will do that,” Lecce said at Queen’s Park. “We are open to every idea and every solution utilizing every person within the ministry to support our parents.”


Lecce said that he is hopeful that the resumption of teacher-led instruction will provide students with a “sense of stability and hope” during a difficult time.


Looking ahead, he said that the province is committed to restoring in-classroom instruction but “only if it is safe” and is supported by Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams.


“If we can salvage some of the year for in-school instruction then we will but our aim is to be flexible to respond to the fluid reality of COVID-19,” he said, noting that end of the year report cards will still be issued regardless of whether schools remain closed.


Education Minister Stephen Lecce is shown at Queen's Park on Tuesday.


GTA boards say teacher-led learning will resume April 6

Ford’s announcement comes in the wake of the Peel District School Board sending a letter to parents, informing them that it plans to “re-start teacher-directed instruction” on April 6.

The Toronto District School Board has also told CP24 that it too plans to resume teacher-directed instruction on April 6.


“We are kind of calling this distance learning or virtual learning. E-learning is where an entire course is taught online from start to finish and our intent here is not to replicate the school day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. I need to be really clear about that because that would be quite challenging,” the TDSB’s Director of Education John Malloy told CP24 on Tuesday morning.


Malloy said that the TDSB is currently in the process of “getting technology to students,” who might not have access to it at home.


As part of that work, he said that the board has reached out to all parents electronically and over the phone to assess their needs and has now heard back from all but a “very small percentage.”


He said that efforts are also underway to support teachers “in this new space,” many of whom may not have prior experience with electronic learning.


“We know that school makes a difference in kids’ lives and to their wellbeing and we also know that the connection between educators and students is important and that is why working with our ministry we are trying to get there as fast as we can,” he said.


The province had previously rolled out a “learn at home” online portal for students, which included some course material for secondary school students as well as educational resources from TVO.


The reintroduction of teacher-lead instruction, albeit electronically, would represent another phase in the province’s efforts to restore some level of normalcy for public students.


In a letter to parents, the Peel District School Board’s Director of Education Peter Joshua said that the board has been “busy developing new ways to deliver curriculum” during the closure of its schools and plans to release information about its online learning plan this week.. He said that he anticipates that there will be “some turbulence upon take-off” but noted that he is committed to “reaching and supporting every learner.”


“We are working to ensure that our use of online learning environments will not widen the divide between privileged and underserved students, and that alternate learning strategies will be available,” the letter states. “In addition, we’re working to ensure equity of access to technology. Your child/teen’s teacher will reach out to you in the next day or so—by email or phone—to determine your family’s technology needs. We appreciate your cooperation in providing this information to us.”


In the letter to parents, Joshua said that the board’s plan will include ways to ensure equity of access to devices and Wi-Fi, mental health and community supports and supports for students with special education needs and English Language Learners.


“Thank you for your ongoing patience as we work to create a comprehensive and equitable plan to ensure all learners’ needs are met,” he said.


資料來源:CP24.com https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-schools-to-remain-shut-until-at-least-may-ford-says-he-will-extend-closure-even-further-if-need-be-1.4875421

最新文章

查看全部

【台灣】國內累計443人確診,427人解除隔離

中央流行疫情指揮中心今(1)日表示,國內昨(31)日新增237例新型冠狀病毒肺炎相關通報,截至目前累計通報72,319例(含71,287例排除),其中443例確診(今日新增案443),分別為352例境外移入,55例本土病例及36例敦睦艦隊。確診個案中7人死亡,427人解除隔離,其餘持續住院隔離中。 指揮中心指出,全球累計6,195,424例確診,分布於187個國家/地區;病例數以美國1,817,7

【台灣】建立健康安全防護網,持續優化科技智慧防疫

中央流行疫情指揮中心今(1)日表示,科技防疫在本次國內COVID-19(武漢肺炎)疫情防治扮演極為重要的角色,我國在疫情初期,即以超前部署的概念,規劃可能需要的防疫作為,從邊境管制到社區管理,建置多項智慧防疫系統及訂定「實聯制措施指引」,多方面保護民眾的健康及隱私。 指揮中心指出,我國智慧防疫系統包括「入境檢疫系統」,從旅客入境健康聲明即開始彙整相關資料,並拋轉至「防疫追蹤系統」,提供第一線民、警

【台灣】國衛院新冠病毒快篩試劑 非專屬授權技轉成果說明

國家衛生研究院(國衛院)與國防醫學院預防醫學研究所(國防醫學院預醫所)共同合作之「新型冠狀病毒快篩試劑」已於4月8日舉辦非專屬授權技術說明會,逾20家國內快篩試劑相關廠商共同與會,並陸續收到十多家具相關生產製造經驗之廠商投件申請。其中,有多家廠商採取策略聯盟的方式遞件申請,透過結合上、中、下游的力量,包含抗體生產、試劑製造到臨床試驗等重要環節,期盼藉由運用所屬技術優勢發揮加乘效果,以利快速完成快篩

版權所有 教育商城 |  TaiDa International Education Services

Copyright© 2020 All Rights Reserved.

本網頁各連結標題及連結內容歸原權利人所有 /  未經書面允許 不得轉載或節錄引用