On March 26th, “New measures to strengthen border measures” were decided at the 23rd Meeting of the Novel Coronavirus Response Headquarters. These measures were decided, amidst the further spreading of coronavirus in foreign countries, to take proactive measures including border controls, aligning with measures taken by foreign countries, in order to prevent the further spread of infections.
The measures include following visa restrictions. These measures will be implemented from 0:00 am of March 28th (Japan Standard Time (JST)) until the last day of April. (The implementation period can be renewed.)
(1) The validity of single or multiple-entry visa issued by March 27th by Japanese Embassies or Consulates General in subject countries (Note).
(2) Visa exemption measures for the subject countries will be suspended.
(Note) 7 countries in Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam and Malaysia), Israel, Qatar, Democratic Republic of the Congo and Bahrain to wait 14 days at a location designated by the quarantine station chief and to refrain from using public transportation.
(3) The validity of Pre-Clearance granted to Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Travel Card issued by the subject countries (Note), People’s Republic of China including Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and Republic of Korea will be gradually suspended.
As a consequence, following people will not be permitted to enter Japan from 0:00 am of March 28th (JST).
(1) Those who intend to enter Japan with single or multiple-entry visa issued by March 27th by Japanese Embassies or Consulates General in the subject countries (Note).
(2) Those who possess a passport issued by the countries for which visa exemption measures are suspended (including APEC Business Travel Card holders) and intend to enter Japan without obtaining a visa.
The latest information on present measures related to visa restrictions will be published on the websites of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, Japanese Embassies and Consulates General as necessary. Those who plan to travel to Japan are advised to refer to these websites regularly.
From 0:00 am of March 28th (JST), the measures to call upon all nationals arriving from the subject countries (Note) to wait 14 days at a location designated by the quarantine station chief and to refrain from using public transportation will be introduced. Those who plan to travel to Japan are invited to take note of these measures carefully. Please contact the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare for inquiries related to these measures.
Please visit the website of Prime Minister of Japan and his Cabinet for the “New measures to strengthen border measures”.
資料來源：Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page25e_000326.html